Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Faith


Faith

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

PASSIVE faith accepts the Word as true - But never moves….ACTIVE faith begins the work to do - and thereby proves.

PASSIVE faith says, “ I believe it! Every word of God is true. Well, I know He hath not spoken what He cannot, will not, do. He hath bidden me, “ Go forward!” but a closed up way I see, When the waters are divided soon in Canaan’s land I’ll be. Lo! I hear His voice commanding “Rise and walk: take up thy bed and stretch forth thy withered member! Which for so long hath been dead.” When I am a little stronger, then, I know I’ll surely stand. When there comes a thrill of healing, I will use with ease my other hand. Yes, I know that God is able! And full willing all to do: I believe that every promise, sometime, will to me come true.”

ACTIVE faith says “I believe it! And the promise now I take. Knowing well, as I receive it, God, each promise real will make. So I step into the waters, finding there an open way; Onward press, the land possessing; nothing can my progress stay. Yea, I rise at His commanding, walk straightway and joyfully. This, my hand, so sadly shriveled, as I reach, restored shall be. What beyond His faithful promise, would I wish or do I need? Looking not for “signs or wonders” I’ll no contradiction heed. Well, I know that “God is able,” and full willing all to do: I believe that every promise, at this moment can come true.”

PASSIVE faith but praises in the light, When sun doth shine….ACTIVE faith will praise in darkest night - Which faith is thine?

- Selected -

This is a selection which inspired me many years ago. I do not know who the author is or I would give him or her due credit.

1.And he went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him. 2 And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands? 3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him. 4 But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house. 5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them. 6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching. Mark 6:1-6

I believe a passive faith is what many Christian’s possess. I have struggled with this malady in my own life and I am sure you have as well. It is something we should STRUGGLE to be free from. We should constantly pray that the Lord would give us active faith.

There are “Christians,” however, who do not struggle to be free from this form of disbelief, they fully surrender to it. Their faith is one which believes God is capable of doing boundless miracles….just not in their lives. They spread their infectious disease of doubt…endlessly stating all the factors which make their situation hopeless and render them virtual victims of their circumstances. They may even go so far as to claim those having an active faith suffer from false hope. They pride themselves in being realists, justifying their doubt, and making it into a thing of virtue. The Bible says we can prevent God from doing a mighty work in our life because of our disbelief....Doubt is never a virtue even when cloaked in the vesture of realism. But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6 Not only is unbelief not a virtue it is a sin! But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. Revelation 21:8

May every Christian pray to be counted amongst the few who have enough faith and confidence in Christ Jesus to witness and experience His saving power and healing touch. 5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them. Mark 6:5

Knowing how doubt displeases God, how it is labeled as sin, and how it ties (for lack of a better word...though God's hands are never bound if He chooses to work) God's hands in our lives, let us anytime we feel doubt in our hearts; pray this prayer, with the father, who received healing for his demonic boy, at the feet of Christ. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. Mark 9:24

Let us remember, God's people are the FAITHFUL few....not the FAITHLESS many.

No comments:

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page